Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Death's Death Metal Distribution Center

Hey everyone, it's Thursday and tonight I would like to present The Crown.  If you don't know who they are then you need to get out from under your rock and get researching.  The Crown, formally known as The Crown of Thorns until some religious version of that name objected to the use of the same name for the title of a band who produced some of the most unrelenting Death Metal (or Death 'n' Roll if you will) to ever grace my ears.




Nearly everyone who listens to The Crown or has heard them cites Deathrace King as their best and I am tending to agree with them, fast, brutal, technical Death Metal with some great solos and an appearance by the vocal god known as Tompa.  From the moment the first note leaves the speakers you are overtaken by this brilliantly amazing music, Johan the singer has got to be up there with Tompa as one of Swedish Death Metals best or most ferocious vocalists ever.






Johan left not long after Deathrace King was released and guess who filled in for him?  You guessed Tompa and he was in the band long enough to release and album called Crowned In Terror (this was when I first heard about the band, being an avid fan of At The Gates I wanted to know about all that involved the members) which I think was sort of luke warmly received and was duly re-recorded after Possessed 13 which saw the return of Johan back on vocals, I don't think Tompa fitted in too well with the Crown boys.


I actually prefer Tompa's version over Johans as it sounds more raw and a bit more aggressive.  There are some nice finishing touches to Johans version, which by the way is entitled Crowned Unholy, in the way of re-recorded Bass and Vocals (of course) and the intro House of Hades is longer.  I urge you to check both the albums out to decide for yourselves.






The Crown broke up not long after the release of Possessed 13 and Crowned Unholy and formed other bands most notably Johan's band One Man Army and the Undead Quartet, which is pretty fucking groovy if you ask me.


Obviously The Crown have other albums but the three I have mentioned tonight are the ones I recommend, I will talk about Eternal Death, the rest of their disco and history next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment